Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Applesauce

One of my favorite things about Autumn, is the food!!!

I try to make applesauce every year.  I've only been doing this for the past 4 years, so it's still a work in progress.  Each year I've used different apples, each year I've had a hard time picking which apples to use!

This year my brother Cameron and I dove right in!  Never mind that I had a 6 week old, 3 year old and 6 year old at home with us!!

We started out with purchasing our apples at a local orchard.  I always go to Kauffman's Fruit Farm to purchase their seconds, which usually run about $8.00 a 1/2 bushel.  Always check our your local farms and orchards for the BEST deal, especially if you plan on making lots!

We walked away with 5 bushels of apples!  2 bushels of Summer Rambo (we had to buy firsts, because we were too late for seconds, but I REALLY wanted Rambo's this year), 1 1/2 bushels of Macintosh and 1 1/2
bushels of Honeycrisp.  All delicious apples that I would eat on their own.

I don't think I could ever make applesauce without my Mom's Victorio Strainer!  It has to be at least 30 years old and it's probably time for me to purchase my own.

This baby makes it easy!  No peeling, no coring!

We quartered the apples, cooked them with a little bit of water, cranked them through the Victorio...and VOILA!  77 quarts & 13 hours later (remember I have 3 kids!  Next time I'll ship them off, so that it takes less time!) we had some delicious applesauce!





Elise seems less than enthusiastic about this venture!

Nora is a bit more excited, little did she know her job would be keeping the other two kids distracted!

A few apples





There is something beautiful about canning!



Now that I have applesauce made, it's Apple Butter time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment